Monday, September 15, 2014

A Lion is in the Streets

From the 2006 PBS Legends of Jazz series -- specifically, the episode entitled "The Golden Horns" -- please enjoy Clark Terry and his spirited ode to utter incoherence, the incomparable "Mumbles."



That's great, obviously, but nowhere near as great as a certain hand puppet...


...lip-synching it on a kids TV show of yore.



You know, there are days when I think that Pookie the Lion is my favorite fictional character of all time.

This is one of those days, obviously.

I should add that those of you in the New York City and Los Angeles areas can see more of Pookie, Thursday night's at 8:30pm and five days a week(!) during the afternoon, on basic cable's Jewish Life TV channel. Those of you elsewhere should consult your local listings.

You're welcome.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the funniest thing i've seen in days!

Blink your eyes Pook!

Capt. Al

Dave said...

Soupy Sales was my hero when I was a pre-teen. And he still is today. Some of the elements of the show are dated, but never Pookie (although I much prefer Clyde Adler's work in Detroit and Los Angeles to Frank Nastasi's in New York).

To me, there are three perfect fictional TV characters: Homer Simpson; George Costanza; and Pookie.

Dave F.

Peter Power Pop said...

That bit of jazz from Clark Terry immediately reminded me of this:

http://youtu.be/LwbJ-N8rrek

Anonymous said...

Boom Boom Boom Boom!

There's nothing like Pookie with a bit of Lamb Chop. They kinda complete each other, if you get my drift.

I suspect Pookie smokes jazz cigarettes and gobbles amphetamines. Naturalmente boobie.

Vickie Rock - Hope you enjoyed the bon-bons

M_Sharp said...

The Soupy Sales show was the greatest, it's still funny today. All the animals were great, I loved it when the crew would crack up.